The Thoreau Society is pleased to announce that it will offer two $1,000 fellowships in 2024 to support scholarly and creative work on Henry David Thoreau, including his writings, life and legacy.
In the past, the Thoreau Society Fellowships Committee has given preference to projects that make use of materials at the Thoreau Institute Library in Lincoln, Massachusetts, including The Thoreau Society collections, the Walter Harding Collection, and the Thoreau Country Conservation Alliance Archives, as well as materials held in Concord- and Boston-area archives that are not otherwise accessible. For the 2024 awards cycle, the committee will continue to welcome but will not prioritize applications that propose travel to Concord and Boston archives. We therefore also welcome applications for funding that enable any of the following:
● Dedicated time for writing at home, based on previously-conducted research;
● Accessing electronic resources or local archives;
● Caregiving while researching and writing;
● Relief from summer and/or adjunct teaching;
● Paying for reproductions or permission fees;
● Or other activities necessary to making progress on a project.