I’m pleased to announce a rather unique program to be taught next month by myself and Midge Raymond. I hope you can join us…
Writing for Animals is a four-week writing program designed to help writers become more effective advocates for animals. Using the book Writing for Animals as a text, we’ll examine the ways in which writers from myriad genres—fiction, nonfiction, poetry, and activist writing—handle the portrayal of animals in their work. The class sessions will include lectures and discussion as well as in-class writing so that all participants will be able to put into practice the tools they’ll be learning.
Participants will learn:
- How animal literature has evolved over the past hundred years and where it is headed
- What anthropomorphism is and how to address it through your writing
- How to give voices to animals while honoring their true voices
- How to create characters that pull readers in and open minds and hearts
- How to deal with inevitable rejection